RSS Feed

Angoras galore!

Today, my fancy English Angora rabbit, Latte, had a litter. She made a nest in her box out of hay and pulled handfuls of soft angora fur from her body to make ready, so I knew her time was near. In the mornings when I go out to the barn to feed the rabbits, chickens, peacocks, etc… etc… I peer into the box, hoping to see something special. Today I thought I saw the wind rustling the soft angora fuzz a bit, so I stared and stared. Sure enough I saw the straw move, then the fur shifted. There had to be babies in that mass! Ye-haw!

I was certain there weren’t any babies there last night, so these kittens must be only hours old. I figured I better not bother the nest because it was a bit cool so early in the morning and newborn bunnies are fragile. But it was KILLING me not to know how many babies Latte had. I tended the animals, pausing to stare at her nest over and over again. I was rather proud of my restraint until I found my hand reaching into that cage. Shoot me. I couldn’t stand it.

“Forgive me,” I said to Latte as I moved a big clump of angora fur aside to make a head count. Five baby rabbits! Three look as if they’ll be snow white like the father and two may end up a mixture of white and pale tan like Mom. With their eyes sealed shut and no ears as yet, they look like little moles. (Same size too.)

I bred Latte the same night I bred my other female angora, Mocha. That rabbit happens to be a dusty brown with a dark brown mask and extremely striking. I bred her with my grey male hoping this would produce a line of dark colored rabbits. Mocha has also pushed hay into her nesting box but she only pulled a pinch or two of hair from her body. She is either behind schedule biologically, or a nest-making-slacker. There were no babies in that cage. Darn. I went to check her later in the afternoon. Nothing. She was lying there as calm as can be, staring at me as if to say, “What do you want? Go away.” Perhaps she is younger than Latte and so the pregnancy didn’t take. The gestation period for rabbits is pretty reliable. Then again, she may just need a day or two to finish the cycle.  It’s a bit like waiting for the other shoe to drop.

I happened to have watched her get ravished over and over, so I’d be shocked if she wasn’t pregnant. Besides which, she did sort of make a nest so she must be hormonal. I will watch for the next few days to see if another litter surfaces. If not, I could breed her again, but I doubt I will. I really don’t need so many angora bunnies (although pedigreed rabbits such as these sell for 50-75 dollars, so I could sell extras if I ended with more rabbits than I wanted to deal with – after I hired a detective to check out the potential buyers to assure they would provide a Ginny-approved home, of course.) I simply wanted to breed both females as an experiment. I wanted to see what my color combination matchmaking would produce. And I planned to keep the prettiest bunnies for myself and give the others to some friends who have expressed an interest in angoras. I’m selfish when it comes to coveting the prettiest pets.

I adore baby bunnies. In a few weeks they’ll venture out of the nest and hop around the cage like playful, shy kittens. I can’t wait for Neva to get home to let her know we have a fistful of new rabbits for her to name. Christening the new animals is a job she takes very seriously.

Doing the animal thing is fun, but most importantly, it keeps us very connected. It’s always nice to have another excuse to walk down to the barn hand in hand, enthusiastic and happy, to marvel at nature’s most innocent gifts. Some women shop at the mall with their daughters. Neva and I spend our bonding time mucking stalls, grooming animals and discussing the remarkable things we learn together about the animal world. We marvel as we watch the peacock spread his tail, look curiously at the different eggs we collect, debate whether or not the pregnant llama is actually showing, give our opinion about what the donkey is trying to say when he brays at us as we walk down the path, and I say “let’s look at the bees” and she shakes her head and says, “No way.” I guess her love for nature has limits.

Reading this blog, you’d think my life was all about animals, but truthfully, they’re a small part of my world, though I must admit, livestock does become newsworthy this time of year. Tomorrow I’ll be opening my beehive after a long winter. – gotta prove interesting.  I could write about other areas of my life. With three active kids, a husband going in a dozen directions, a fledgling writing career, daily activities like working out, cooking, reading, etc…  a new business in the works, dance refusing to let us go (I don’t talk much the opportunities that continue to present themselves in our old careers) and a load of life passage issues tugging at our hearts and minds, elements of my life are juggled like too many balls circling over a clown’s head. I certainly could find other subjects to reflect upon, but really, baby bunnies seem the most pertinent in the moment.

Life can be a shady place, but it feels lighter when you focus on the soft, sweet things that touch your days. I am just grateful that despite the drudgery and the stressful elements we grapple with daily, I’m a gal with rabbits forcing me to pause for a moment and smile.

Addendum to this blog: Neva and I just took a walk to the barn and she crawled into the cage to have a look-see. She insists there are at least 6 babies, and possibly 7. One is definitely tan and another is actually black. I saw them too. Just goes to show, you can’t trust first impressions.

About Ginny East Shaddock

Ginny is the owner of Heartwood Yoga Institute. She is an ERYT-500 Yoga teacher, C-IAYT Yoga therapist, RCYT & Ayurveda Counselor who loves nature, gardening, and creative arts. She has an MFA in creative writing from Lesley University, and a BA in Business Administration from Eckerd College. She teaches writing and is the creator of the memoir writing program, "Yoga on the Page" combining the teaching of yoga to writing personal stories with integrity, intention, and heart.

140 responses »

1. nanoo

I know of blog starting websites like web and wetpaint, but I hear google has a program that helps people do blogs. Does anyone know the name of the program? If not, any one know some good blogging websites?.

2. nanoo

Can Blogger be a good place to post a webcomic?

3. nanoo

The screen in my blogger website is way too small. I don’t know how to make it bigger, do you guys know how to make blogger videos in your site bigger? .

4. nanoo

How do i get rid of undefined in blog posts?

5. nanoo

What are your standards of success for a blog? Readership? Quality? Is there a relationship between readership and quality?. . What did people with successful blogs do to make them successful? Was it a kind of “if you build it, they will come” thing? Do they actively market themselves? Do they associate themselves with other famous bloggers or websites? How does it happen?. . Do you have a blog? What do you do with your blog? Do you consider yourself successful? Why?.

6. nanoo

I want to know where exactly to paste the code on my template in my blog so that the ‘Digg It’ Button shows up for each and every post of mine.. . Also If I want to show how many diggs I got on one of my blog post where do I show it? Where exactly do I put the code? And where do I get the code from? Thanks for helping me with this..

7. nanoo

How to make my second blog my default one on Tumblr?

8. nanoo

How can I have updates of new blog posts from my blog being automatically posted on my Twitter?

9. nanoo

What computer careers involve the work that a computer repair technician or technical support specialist does?

10. nanoo

How to apply for google adsense account for my all 3 blogs and 2 websites ?

11. nanoo

How do I export from blogger to wordpress without ruining indexed permalinks?

12. nanoo

I have a blog on Blogspot that I’ve been trying to customize with my own banner, but I can’t seem to figure out where to do this 😛 A site where I could make a banner would be helpdul, too. If anyone has any directions they could give me to help me out with this, that would be awesome. Thank you!.

13. nanoo

I work for a company that is wanting to e-mail some of our media contacts from our Press Release blog posts. The main problem I am running into is finding a service that doesn’t require opt-in. Does anybody have any suggestions?.

14. nanoo

What makes a computer choosing random numbers, start at 3, or 5, or 3027846?

15. nanoo

Does anyone know how you get those customised backgrounds on wordpress. All i can seem to get is the ones they provide. Can someone help me pleaseeeeeeeeeee?.

16. nanoo

Hi all! I want to have my own website let’s say i will purchase it through Godaddy and for designing part i want to use joomla. I have gone through guidance file given within joomla setup but still m confused in how to link my domain name and joomla?. Pls help me in this regard and give possible best suggestions. ..

17. nanoo

What I have tried so far is: copy pasting from googledocs to Notes to wordpress, and copy pasting from googledics into HTML tab in wordpress. Neither tries retained the boldface text. Thanks in advance!.

18. nanoo

What blogging website had the least invasive ads for free-account users?

19. nanoo

I really love the sciences, especially chemistry and physics. But I also love the creative aspect of the spectrum, such as writing and books. I really want to write. Would it be smart to minor in English or Creative Writing but major in the sciences? Does it look acceptable? I’m new to college stuff, and I’m curious. I don’t want to miss an opportunity to advance my scientific or creative knowledge! I’m a Junior in high school..

20. nanoo

What Firefox Extension can I get to download streaming videos from sites?

21. nanoo

My computer crashes at the start of a streaming video or of a full windowed video game?

22. nanoo

Is there a way to report a website for violating copyright of articles and images?

23. nanoo

How to add article to Joomla using a blackberry or other mobile device?

24. nanoo

Can i protect my blog content copyright without registering it to copyright departmen? please help?

25. nanoo

Hi, i have a free wordpress blog. I have added the widgets that come in the widget section. But how do i add widgets that are from third parties such as clustrmaps? If free wordpress blogs don’t allow that, which free blog service allows that ? .

26. nanoo

I have just spent the last few months creating a blogging website from scratch and i am launching on Monday. I was just wondering if anyone knew some free ways to get it noticed on google or through fan pages or something, other cheap options would be great too thanks..

27. nanoo

I am apart of a commitee that is trying to start a clothing company. I am in charge of designing the clothing website because for right now you can only order stuff online. But I was just wondering how do you start a website for a clothing company? What are some good domain places to sign up for a domain..

28. nanoo

GoDaddy tech support is so frustrating. First, I used their applications panel to install joomla, but when I uploaded my local site via ftp, it didn’t work. I called GoDaddy support and they do not give support for migrating a local site to their host. You just have to build it from scratch from their installation. That stinks. Solutions?.

29. nanoo

How do I transfer my Blogger feed readers to my WordPress blog?

30. nanoo

Is Joomla software harder than Dreamweaver to learn. I have been told that Joomla is easier than Dreamweaver. Do Joomla make its own codes like Dreamweaver. I want to learn it and I want to buy the software. Please give me your opinion. Do I need to buy the Joomla program or not? . . Thx, God bless, take care! .

31. nanoo

How to test if a computer is connected to the network correctly?

32. nanoo

I have a small background in magazine journalism but my new job requires no writing at all, except for emails. . . I would like to start doing some creative writing but I don’t know where to start, as in, what do I write about, and whether it’s actually worth bothering with or not. I’d probably be more inclined to do it if there was a competition or group I could join online or something like that. . . Does anyone do any writing or their own, if so, how did you get started? And what have you gotten out of it?.

33. nanoo

I am at a crossroads in my career. I am in the middle of applying for law school, but I really want to write. Is there a field that can combine the two, or do I choose one over the other? I am not looking to practice law, that much I know about myself. I want to do something that is challenging, fun, creative and meaningful. I fear that I have to give up writing in order to fullfill a working life..

34. nanoo

I can’t seem to find a way on how to start as a blogger. I could use some help on how to start blog .

35. nanoo

Blogspot Question: How can I make my current blog appear on my personal webpage?

36. nanoo

How can I publish pictures in articles on Wikipedia without infringing copyright?

37. nanoo

How do you start a blog? How do you get your own blog site or page?

38. nanoo

How to let the other people know about your blogspot?

39. nanoo

I sign into my Tumblr account, and switch the dashboard from my main blog to the secondary blog, then I go to Account > Preferences > Customize your blog, but then it just takes me to the customization page for my main blog. Any way to customize my secondary blog, or should I just create a second account altogether?.

40. nanoo

I have just gotten a blog on blogspot. People comment me and I was wondering how you comment back to them without e-mailing or going to their blog. .

41. nanoo

How do I make firefox show at the top of my start list?

42. nanoo

I am starting a business selling various baby things that I make. And I want to start a website to be able to sell them on. Can anyone tell me the steps that I would need to go through to do this? And what is the cost?. Thanks..

43. nanoo

I need specific instructions on how to link my blog effectively. Should my blog be based on my website, or can I add to blogs on related sites? I am pretty lost right now, I basically need a blogging tour guide for dummies.

44. nanoo

What is the best blogging platform for a podcast or a video blog?

45. nanoo

Hi. I’m looking for a good site that offers creative writing prompts or creative writing exercises since I heard that anyone who is serious about writing should do creative writing exercises. So does anyone know of a good one?.

46. nanoo

I am going to be a junior in high school in a month when school starts and I want to start looking at schools. I am really interested in creative writing and literature. What are some good schools for that? I also want to study philosophy. . . Thanks!.

47. nanoo

Im based in London have worked as a secretary for more than 10 years and have an HND in Business Studies but am tired of admin work and office politics and would like to do something more creative- change careers.. . I write in my spare time and have attended an advanced writing course for the past 3 years and am writing a novel. I would like to see if I could train to teach creative writing in further education colleges etc or and English /English literature. I would also be grateful if I could get any info on what qualifications you need to be able to teach English as a first language and Basic literacy skills and ESOL..

48. nanoo

How do I start a blog and own the domain?

49. nanoo

How do you start building a WordPress site for an already existing website?

50. nanoo

I have a WordPress blog and what I need is to rotate my blog posts over and over with a preset time interval. And also I’d like to shuffle my posts. Would RSS feeds pick up the rotated blog posts as new ones? Does someone have this PHP code? Thanks.